Are screen protectors for smart phones really that necessary?

gosu_smurf

7 Jun 2011
Check out this article from asiaone, may affect ur decision the next time u decide to get a screen protector....

If you haven't heard of Corning's Gorilla Glass by now, that means you are one of the many who still put a screen protector on your smartphone (and literally all your devices). Over the years, we have been told to put screen protectors to ensure additional resistance against scratches.

But really, Gorilla Glass is the main reason why I stopped purchasing those pesky screen protectors. I left my HTC Sensation sticker-free and case-free, and I would usually throw my phone in my pocket with my keys. I like my phone better without the screen protector and I haven't gotten a single scratch.

Chances are, many of your smartphones are already equipped with Gorilla Glass; whether it's your Android phone or Blackberry. (and yes, although Apple didn't mention it, the iPhone is also equipped with a similar reinforcement on their screens)

I mean, if you think about it, touchscreen smartphones are getting more primetime as of late, it makes sense that manufacturers have been making significant improvements on the screen's durability and rigidity, particularly towards the more vulnerable giant screen that we always tap and swipe with our fingers.

This is an important consideration for all manufacturers, especially when half of the market is comprised of women who throw their phones into their handbags filled with other items that have potential to leave a mark. Today's smartphones have mightier screens than ever, and would survive in any harsh conditions.

This is all possible, thanks to the amazing high quality and highly durable materials developed by Corning. In fact, the most common use for these materials are glass screens for products that use LCD technology. It's basically the highest quality glass that you could get on a smartphone.

Gorilla Glass is advertised as being scratch-resistant and should survive contact with keys or coins without being scratched. Of course, it's not scratch-proof, so if it's exposed to tungsten carbide or diamonds or if you intentionally scratch the screen by force and with a lot more pressure, you'll definitely do some damage.

This material is being used on a wide range of consumer devices even on devices that you would least expect such as televisions. Really, when was the last time you applied a screen protector on your HDTV screen?

I never liked those cheap screen protectors. They really get in the way and applying it is a tedious chore. For me, it degrades the touch-screen experience. To ensure a long lasting screen, I would always use a microfiber cloth for cleaning the glass.

I think screen protectors are becoming more of a scam. Do yourself a favour, take that screen protector off and let your smartphone screen shine.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Science+and+Tech/Story/A1Story20111026-307072.html

msnangersme

1 Jun 2011
Singapore
Hey I've actually had this friend who works at an apple store, was talking to him the other day and asking what sells best. He told me, "screen protectors", the more expensive, the better it sells. Man I think people would not MIND spending a bit more on stuff that can protect their beloved iPhone 4S screen. The thought of scratching the glass is simply too unbearable.

luXy

8 Jun 2011
Bedok
It only degrades the screen if u use the cheap low quality kind of protectors. The protector cAn enhance the experience in so many ways.... Better texture, one way viewing, finger print resistant, etc.

clan_NEt

4 Jun 2011
Hey I've actually had this friend who works at an apple store, was talking to him the other day and asking what sells best. He told me, "screen protectors", the more expensive, the better it sells. Man I think people would not MIND spending a bit more on stuff that can protect their beloved iPhone 4S screen. The thought of scratching the glass is simply too unbearable.
Tats y some protectors r priced so sky high! The manufacturer knows people will easily fork out about 10-20% of the phone price on the protector. I mean, if the screen has a big ass scratch, it's pretty much screwed up.

msnangersme

1 Jun 2011
Singapore
Eh eh actually I find the phone casing more of a rip off price tag. So many casings I've seen priced waaaay above the quality of the product. Its like there is some kind of standard market rate for such stuff :(