Balance diet plan to share

Jimmy

27 Aug 2013
Seng Kang
Hi, anyone has any balance diet to share?
I hear a bit here and there and want to lose my 19% fat mass. 1 version i heard is to avoid carbo for lunch and dinner. No restriction for breakfast.

Are there any diet plan to share?

roflolmao

3 Jun 2011
i think avoid carbo completely for lunch and dinner a bit unhealthy leh.

try to have a balanced diet that includes complex carbohydrates for energy (e.g. spaghetti), proteins for recovery (e.g. tofu, lean-meat), and vitamins and minerals for proper functioning of all systems of the body (e.g. vegetables and fruits). Avoid processed foods (e.g. fast foods) because not only do they contain harmful preservatives, they also have depleted levels of essential micronutrients.

While it is alright to indulge moderately now and then, you have to draw a line at what is considered excessive.

I do not have a special diet, although I do avoid fried foods, and ensure I get plenty of servings of vegetables and fruits, and water. Before a marathon I also do some “carbo-loading”, but not in excessive amounts.

Reactions: Jimmy

Jimmy

27 Aug 2013
Seng Kang
i think avoid carbo completely for lunch and dinner a bit unhealthy leh.

try to have a balanced diet that includes complex carbohydrates for energy (e.g. spaghetti), proteins for recovery (e.g. tofu, lean-meat), and vitamins and minerals for proper functioning of all systems of the body (e.g. vegetables and fruits). Avoid processed foods (e.g. fast foods) because not only do they contain harmful preservatives, they also have depleted levels of essential micronutrients.

While it is alright to indulge moderately now and then, you have to draw a line at what is considered excessive.

I do not have a special diet, although I do avoid fried foods, and ensure I get plenty of servings of vegetables and fruits, and water. Before a marathon I also do some “carbo-loading”, but not in excessive amounts.
Thanks for the info. But what kind of carbo is preferred? Brown rice? White bread? Potatoes? I heard white rice not really healthy.

roflolmao

3 Jun 2011
Popular grain food such as bread, rice, noodles, pasta, biscuits, porridge, ketupat, idli, dhosai, and chapatti are great sources of complex carbohydrates.

roflolmao

3 Jun 2011
Regarding the white rice,

White rice refers to rice which has its hull, bran and germ removed. Since the bran contains small amount of oil that can turn rancid, rice are polished to prolong its shelf-life. However, this process also strips the rice of essential nutrients. And because brown rice has its bran and germ intacted, it is considered as a whole-grain and hence has a higher nutritive value.

Brown rice varieties
There is a variety of brown rice available in the market. The type and amount of colour pigments (anthocyanins) in the rice bran determines the colour of the rice. Similarly, the amount and type of aromatic compounds and fatty acids in different varieties of brown rice determines its unique flavour and aroma. Generally, brown rice has a nutty flavour and a chewy texture when cooked.

Brown Rice refers to rice that is unpolished where only the hull is removed but the germ and bran are retained. It contains almost five times the fibre and 2 times the iron of white rice.

Red Rice contains a variety of anthocyanins that give its bran a red/maroon colour. Compared to brown rice, it contains similar amount of fibre but twice the amount of iron and 6 times the amount of zinc. It requires less soaking and cooking time as compared to brown rice (Table 1).

Black Rice has a black coloured bran layer due to its unique anthocyanin combination and these anthocyanins cause black rice to turn into a deep purple colour when cooked. Compared to brown rice, it contains about three times the amount of fibre and requires less cooking time (Table 1). Its variants include purple rice (forbidden rice) and Indonesian black rice.

Purple Rice (Forbidden Rice) is a short grain variant of black rice. It is purple in its uncooked state and deep purple when cooked. It contains similar amount of fibre but almost twice the iron and four times the zinc content of brown rice.

Wild Rice is not a true rice, but the grain from a wild-growing and grain-producing grass that is native to North America. Compared to brown rice, it contains similar amount of fibre but twice the amount of zinc and eight times the amount of vitamin E. Wild rice requires the most water, soaking and cooking time among other rice type (Table 1).

Why consume a variety of brown rice?
Both white and brown rice contain similar amounts of energy, carbohydrates and protein. However, brown rice contains higher amount of vitamins and minerals. The bran of brown rice not only increases the fibre content but also contains a variety of colour pigments that may be beneficial for health. Given that different variety of brown rice contains different amount of nutrients and colour pigments, it may be a good idea to include a variety of them in your diet. This way, you can also enjoy a variety of flavour and texture too!

Consuming a diet rich in whole-grains, such as brown rice, is beneficial to health as it may lower the risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain cancer. It can also help in weight management. Other than brown rice, whole-grain food also include brown rice beehoon, wholemeal crackers and wholemeal bread.

full article with stuff like how to cook rice and all here: http://www.hpb.gov.sg/HOPPortal/health-article/7444

Reactions: Jimmy

Twofold

30 Nov 2012
twofold.com.sg
Hi, anyone has any balance diet to share?
I hear a bit here and there and want to lose my 19% fat mass. 1 version i heard is to avoid carbo for lunch and dinner. No restriction for breakfast.

Are there any diet plan to share?
Being in Asia, it is pretty difficult to avoid carb. If you do, you tend to end up eating protein heavy food, which are less than healthily prepared for greater taste.

For weight loss, its always a good tip to remember only to eat to fill your hunger, rather than eating until you're full. Calorie counting might be great but on an every day basis, it might make you a social pariah. :p

You can also look out for fat burning ingredients. Here's a pretty handy list.

Good luck!