Do you want a gym at Boon Lay

3 Jul 2014
I am thinking to open a Fitness Club at Boon Lay Area, but I not sure got any demand or not. The membership will be likely on Quarterly Basic and target membership around $70/month, including Classes.

3 Jul 2014
Mid range - Not Big Brand as they collect upfront membership 12 months vs 1-3 months membership fees and No the small one, as we have 4200 sqf shop space vs the cheap one. My consultant advice that the fitness club is not run on only pure gym, but also provide classes likes Yoga/Pilates, Zumba, Kickboxing which plan and managed by prof company. I also plan to run 24 hours if enough interest.

Reactions: gosu_smurf

gosu_smurf

7 Jun 2011
interesting. it could possibly work. with such a large shop space you are able to explore many ideas. perhaps collaborate or run a bar that sells protein shakes (there is one at novena square) or some power snack. this can differentiate the gym whilst adding good value to the members.
for the 24hours aspect, maybe you could partition the gym and run certain sections as 24/7.

moshimosh

26 Aug 2013
70/month including classes? What class, weight lifting, yoga, etc? I think thats very affordable compared to like fitness first etc

3 Jul 2014
we slight diff as we own the space in Boon Lay Shopping Centre not lease the space, so we will no worry about rental. I will project $70 for gym cum free 1-3 class or very affortable class or extra $10-20 for each classes.. ..still working with number..That Why I need to find the balance points.

See siang

19 Jun 2014
Boon Lay shopping center is different from Jurong Point shopping center. Although both are call as Boon Lay, the pricing has hugh difference.

I came from a gym that has single location, which happened to be near vivocity and next building to my previous employment. The fee is $80 per annum. It is at walking distance near mrt.

Boon Lay shopping center may reachable via feeder bus such as 240, but with such locations, it is consider inaccessible. With peak hours being packed with people in bus, how could people reach your gym without wearing out?

Classes are suppose to be free for gym, there are nearby CC to boon lay shopping center. If people could get the rate at CC, why should people go to your place with basic monthly subscription plus class fee?

There are already 24 hours gym in Singapore with locations near MRT.

If you are targeting nearby, there are already clubfitt which cost about $30-$40 per month. What attract people to your gym then?

Please pardon my brutal honesty. I have nothing against you. It is just a honest feedback.

3 Jul 2014
thanks for your honest comments as I don't want to cheap until user need to wait for using equipments. Therefore, I will work likes club, cap a max membership issued, likes 500-700 membership. No new membership will be issue unless some quit. Walk in rate will be $8 per entry for non friday-sun.

See siang

19 Jun 2014
Boon Lay shopping center is different from Jurong Point shopping center. Although both are call as Boon Lay, the pricing has hugh difference.

I came from a gym that has single location, which happened to be near vivocity and next building to my previous employment. The fee is $80 per annum. It is at walking distance near mrt.

Boon Lay shopping center may reachable via feeder bus such as 240, but with such locations, it is consider inaccessible. With peak hours being packed with people in bus, how could people reach your gym without wearing out?

Classes are suppose to be free for gym, there are nearby CC to boon lay shopping center. If people could get the rate at CC, why should people go to your place with basic monthly subscription plus class fee?

There are already 24 hours gym in Singapore with locations near MRT.

If you are targeting nearby, there are already clubfitt which cost about $30-$40 per month. What attract people to your gym then?

Please pardon my brutal honesty. I have nothing against you. It is just a honest feedback.
My bad. It is $80 per month for one year contract. These alway confused me.

3 Jul 2014
For Gym user, I believe they don't need a lot type of equipment, but focus on few regular set, likes what is said 10 set each treadmills and Crosstrainers.

So if I charge $70(gym only) + $20 for the basic level class if consider fair as I do not ask user to pay for 1 year, but 1 or 3 months basic. I believe this is fair to users as they can walk away if they not happy with the services vs Big fitness club, which you need to pay upfront 1-2 years basic.
About the $20 charges on the class as I need to pay about a fees per session to instructor, therefore user must share the cost, which will be fair to people who do not want to attend lesson. I am also think about $60 pre-paid for 10 lesson within 3 months instead of $20 unlimit class per month, which able to maintain the quality of the class...max 15 person per class.

Another thing is My consultant suggest to me that just need one toilet bowl, but few showers, so is easy to maintain, which I agreed as public toilet at just below my floor.

Let calc my break even cost
= $25k for operation cost + $14k for rental + $5k for depreciation of equipment = $44k per month / $70 = 628 member to breakeven. Therefore, I need to charge fees for lesson vs pure gym only.

Reactions: gosu_smurf

kr3w

1 Aug 2011
Some key questions to help you before you take the plunge..

what you're going to do,
why users need you,
how large the market is,
how are you going to make money, and
who your competitors are and why your company is going to beat them. (That last has to be more specific than "they suck" or "we'll work really hard.")

3 Jul 2014
Thanks for kr3w.I am careful because this is my first time to run own business. I have two business plans; Fitness Centre and Co-working space. For fitness centre, my adviser told me to run between Gymboxx and Fitness First. Gymboxx is good modal but they only focus Gym without classes, Fitness First type is advance payment 12-24 months which some user not happy over this issue. That why I believe I can make but not a lot of money if I can find the balance, likes provide 50% classes and 50% gym but max 5 type of equipment.
Let think about it, Are you willing to pay $100 for 3 months basic on my fitness centre compared with you pay $100 for 24 months for high-end Fitness Centre.

See siang

19 Jun 2014
Location may attract people. That mean, people staying near to gym, would likely to be your customers.

The facilities are next in line. What are the valued added facilities ? Are there free lockers, towels, wifi, toilets, gels, cream, hair dryer, tissues, toilets, air con?

Lastly is cost. What are the nearby competitors? Are you able win by price? What freebies are included?

These are the 3 things that I look for

3 Jul 2014
No towel only. Now my question is people prefer Are you prefer Gym only, Class only likes Dancing Studion or Mix Match.
If Gym only, I will provide all Equipments.
Class Only, I may put 2-3 treadmills, but charge $20-$30 per visit or 25% for $200 stored Valued. Room Size, 400, 600, 800 and 1200, and keep max 18 student per class
For Mix-Match, we charge $5-10 per class, because they pay base membership fees $75 for gym

See siang

19 Jun 2014
gym: will attract more males as they will be primarily focus on body building and toning. This will be similar to clubfitt / activesg model

Class: will attract more females during class as they will pop by to participate on class only.

Please don't quote me. This is what I have noticed in two different gyms.

Look at your target audience and you will have your own answer.

Ramli

22 Nov 2012
West Side
Hi there is the gym in process?
I seen level 3 are empty right eager to know more if you are building it up.