- 4 Jul 2011
Benefits of Fish Oil
Written by: Monica Duicinea
Fish oil has a lot of extraordinary benefits for your health. Eating omega-3 fish oil or oily fish such as salmon, mackerel and tuna at least two times a week or up to four times a week is greatly beneficial to your health.
Here are some great benefits of fish oil:
- Fish oil prevents heart attack - Dr Alexander Leaf and colleagues at Harvard Medical School found that eating oily fish like salmon or tuna at least twice a week could prevent a heart attack.
- Fish oil protects against heart disease and stroke - Researchers at Southampton University found that omega 3 fish oil stops the build up of fatty deposits in the arteries, protecting against heart disease and stroke.
- Fish oil reduces the risk of death from a sudden heart attack - Chief researcher Dr Roberto Martial, from the Consortia Mario Negroid Sod research institute in Santa Maria Embargo, Italy found that one gram daily dose of omega 3 fish oil was enough to significantly reduce the risk of death from a sudden heart attack by 42%.
- Fish oil prevents mothers from giving birth to very small babies - The University of Bristol research team found that a mother-to-be who eats fish during the later stages of pregnancy is less likely to have a very small baby.
- Fish oil helps with lupus symptoms - Researchers in Northern Ireland the University of Ulster found that people with the lupus disease who eat tuna, mackerel and similar fish containing omega 3 fish oil reduce their lupus symptoms.
- Fish oil helps with prostate cancer - The Paterson Institute researchers found that a diet rich in a fat found in oily fish and some seeds may protect men with prostate cancer from developing a more aggressive form.
- Fish oil reduces the growth of breast cancer - Researchers from Indiana University found that when mixing compounds from omega-3 fatty acids with the anaesthetic propofol, together they appeared to reduce the growth of breast cancer cells.
- Fish oil reduces inflammation - The researchers from Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital found that a diet high in oily fish like salmon and mackerel may help improve inflammatory conditions such as arthritis; the oily fish diet worked best when combined with low aspirin doses.
- Fish oil prevents certain symptoms of advanced cancer - Professor Kevin Fearon and colleagues at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary found that oily fish prevents cachexia - the severe wasting and weight loss associated with some types of advanced cancer.
- Fish oil protects against asthma - The researchers at Cambridge University found that oily fish could protect against asthma.
- Fish oil betters brain and visual development in children - Bristol University researchers found that a mother-to-be who eats oily fish is more likely to have children with better brain and vision developments.
- Fish oil helps with chronic fatigue syndrome - Dr Basant Puri and colleagues at Hammersmith Hospital in London found that taking omega-3 fish oil supplements may help to alleviate some of the symptoms associated with the chronic fatigue syndrome.