Losing weight at home

mika

3 Nov 2011
When we are at home, we tend to be laid back and it seems hard to do an exercise. Stay at home moms and those who works online at home could still find ways to lose weight. Such as doing exercises that can be done at home. Some exercises I could do at home are squats, situps, jumping jack and jog in place.

What other exercises you know we could do at home? Feel free to share your own at home workout routine. ;)

gosu_smurf

7 Jun 2011
I do not workout at home, but running on a treadmill, cycling on a stationary bike, skipping, etc, are good exercises to do at home.

DIEHVRDS

2 Jun 2011
In Her ♥
static.just do pushups while lying on the floor using the laptop.you can read your manga/wait for your maple ship to land in Ossy while keeping fit at the same time!! :)

MalcolmX

4 Jul 2011
I have a friend who recently got out of army detention (which is pretty much like a prison). I met up with him the other day to catch up and one of the things he shared with me was how the inmates "exercise" in their cells. Because inmates are forbidden to do any form of exercise in their cells, they would have to find ways to conceal or prevent the prison wardens from finding out. So, they devised a system of hand signs to communicate between cells across them, to signal whenever the prison warden does his patrols around the cells. A common sight my friend witnessed was almost every inmates running on the spot in the cells across his. Some would do pushups and sit-ups. And when the warden comes by, someone would give the signal and all would stop whatever they are doing.

Okay sorry for going off topic but I just wanted to share how prison inmates are likely to be exercising in their individual cells.

Reactions: Lee11 and DIEHVRDS

MalcolmX

4 Jul 2011
@MalcolmX how come inmates are not allowed to exercise?
I guess the military police are afraid the detainees would overpower them. Anyhow, they are allowed some form of exercise - sandbag regimes. But that is done in the open under supervision and not in the cells.

mika

3 Nov 2011
I know what you mean about working at home. I myself have to go out of my way to walk or I have to join a gym to get some exercise. Only, it's not just about the exercise but also about not isolating oneself when working at home.
Yes, it was necessary sometimes to go out for some to make themselves motivated to workout. And of course to ease boredom of being always at home. Breathing fresh air could also help feel better. Sedentary lifestyle was never healthy.

pwcross

6 Nov 2011
Oakland, CA
I am mostly a stay-at-home mom. I have a used Total Gym in the room with the television. Since I do not get a lot of leisure time during the day, chasing a toddler around, I really only have a limited time in the afternoon while my son naps. My deal with myself is that I can watch one television show, but I can only do so if I do a Total Gym workout at the same time. That way, my workout is tied to the reward of treating my brain to a half hour of zoning out.

MellowGuy

8 Nov 2011
I think at home can have advantages of working out if you can set aside some serious workout time. 30 minutes or an hour of the day is enough time to pull off some serious workouts with some or even no equipment.

Youtube is also a great tool to find out about shorter but very effective bodyweight exercises.

Reactions: Lee11

Lee11

2 Nov 2011
Yes, YouTube is a wealthy source of information, with many short but effective workouts. I actually find it difficult to sit still, so my ex-boyfriend actually got me to sit and do my computer work on an exercise ball. So, your abdominal,leg and other muscles are working to support you, making it less sedentary than a chair. I like it!

As he was in the army for a number of years he worked out a boot-camp thing for me, which was a few push-ups, sit-ups, lunges and many squats. You can dance to the music, that comes pretty naturally to me - maybe you can put on your favourite music? Electronic and dance music gets me going and it gets the blood pumping!

Last, but not least maybe try rebounding?
Rebounding (jumping on a trampoline) is reportedly used by astronauts and you can vary your routine on there. It is super fun and you burn A LOT of kilojoules. You can Google some sample routines for rebounding. Tiny ones are inexpensive too.

Our bodies were designed to move, it will help you. Many people report to have lost a lot of weight (IF that is your focus, due to the heading of the post) by simply using rebounding.
Hope that helps a little....;)

Reactions: clan_NEt

LLuDawg

12 Nov 2011
I find it super hard to workout at home as there are just so many distractions. The computer and TV can be distracting but can also be helpful. I usually blast music from my computer and do workouts until the song is over. I also love lifting weights during commercial breaks from the TV. Hopefully soon I will be able to afford a stationary bike because I think it will be pretty fun to ride your bike while watching TV!

PWiD

20 Jul 2011
I usually just use a speed rope. And occasionally add in a sand bag. Works for me when I need to deload from the gym.

mika

3 Nov 2011
I think at home can have advantages of working out if you can set aside some serious workout time. 30 minutes or an hour of the day is enough time to pull off some serious workouts with some or even no equipment.

Youtube is also a great tool to find out about shorter but very effective bodyweight exercises.
It was true that a lot of useful workout videos are on YouTube. ;)
I actually had watched some belly dancing workout and had tried some of those steps since it was simple to follow. It was also enjoyable. And I had watched some other exercises from it like how to have a good workout for just minutes. So we could really choose or find ideas from those videos.

UmiNoor

14 Nov 2011
Johor Bahru
www.bukisa.com
You're right in saying that being at home all day working on the computer can sometimes make exercising impossible. When I was in school, I used to run every morning. Now, that is impossible. What I do now is do simple chores around the house where I need to move about. And while I'm sitting in front of the computer, I would pull in my stomach to a count of five and let go and repeat as often as I can. It does help in flattening my tummy.

soccerbai123

22 Nov 2011
At home, my workout would be situps and jumping ropes. Also, it helps by playing badminton in the backyard. For me, it did work, not really sure with the others.

7 Nov 2011
Aside from doing household chores, dancing is my exercise at home. Three different type of dance everyday. I guess, I never bored with it since I can switch from one to another. I do some crunches at home usually at night before bedtime. I used to play 'pelota' but the neighbor would complain about the noise in her wall so I stopped it. :)

kat74

11 Nov 2011
Since I started working at home I have become so lazy with exercising nowadays have gained some weight. I'm so busy working online every minute I spend doing other things feels like am wasting time. I know am becoming a lazy online working mom so i intend to try the exercise mentioned above.

roxanne_101

8 Dec 2011
Dancing is my favorite thing to do at home. Exercise channels are also very popular, as well as those available online. It's not that hard to get into action you just have to make time for it.

Deimos Athletics

21 Apr 2014
Hey fellow Kakis,

Have you guys ever thought of kettlebells for working out at home? its a lot more versatile than dumb bells and barbells, and can give you a more complete workout with lesser weights.

This article here nicely summaries kettlebells as the perfect solution for working out at home.