- 7 Jun 2011
Nanyang Polytechnic student, 19, dies after choking on orangeA 19-year-old student died on Tuesday, three days after she apparently choked on two slices of orange and lost consciousness.
Friends of polytechnic student Ailsie Lee Qiao Qi told The Straits Times that she had been eating oranges at home during breakfast last Saturday morning when she suddenly started choking and coughing, then fainted.
Her father is believed to have attempted unsuccessfully to resuscitate her.
She was rushed by ambulance to the National University Hospital, where she was warded for about four days.
A reminder to eat your food carefully.