pull up training

yoshhh

21 Nov 2013
Hi fitness gurus, please kindly advise on my pull up training. Which of these is better?
Scenario 1:
1st set:20 reps, 2nd set: 10 reps, 3rd set: 8reps, 4th set: 5-6reps.

scenario 2:
20sets of 5 reps.

Which will have more gains in muscle mass and strength?

sinful

Global Moderator
Staff member
1 Jun 2011
Singapore
gymkaki.com
If you had to pick a rep range to work at to optimize the growth response for muscle mass, it would 5-8 reps per set. Do weighted pull-ups if need to. Keep the rest time between sets around 1-1.5minutes.

This range can help you maximize fatigue/metabolic work/volume. Basically, that range of reps and intensities is the one that will give an optimal balance of tension/recruitment and fatigue/metabolic work for maximum muscle hypertrophy.

msnangersme

1 Jun 2011
Singapore
U can combo pull-up with exercises like bent over rows, seated rows, lat pulldowns, etc, to help increase your overall back muscle volume and thickness.

yoshhh

21 Nov 2013
Okay, I actually have a goal. I wanted to be able to do 40 pull ups in a single set someday. Is there anyway for me to do that?

sinful

Global Moderator
Staff member
1 Jun 2011
Singapore
gymkaki.com
Okay, I actually have a goal. I wanted to be able to do 40 pull ups in a single set someday. Is there anyway for me to do that?
One way is get a pull-up bar installed in your house, then do like 150-200 reps a day. Depending on what is your one set max now, hit a certain number for each set. Can try aiming for doing 10 reps each time you mount the pull-up bar. Then do 15-20 sets a day. Personally this method works effectively, got me within the 35 pull-ups in a single set up from like 15 max within a few months.

Alternatively, you could do like pyramid style, 7reps,8,9,10,9,8,7, etc within a short period of time. Try a few variations and see what works best for your body.

yoshhh

21 Nov 2013
Hi sinful, thanks so much for the tip. Currently im at 20max rep for a set, so im gonna try doing the 10 reps, 15-20 sets routine you suggested. Would like to ask, how much rest time did you had, and how many days did you train in a week? And also, did your back muscle shrink from overtraining?

sinful

Global Moderator
Staff member
1 Jun 2011
Singapore
gymkaki.com
Hi sinful, thanks so much for the tip. Currently im at 20max rep for a set, so im gonna try doing the 10 reps, 15-20 sets routine you suggested. Would like to ask, how much rest time did you had, and how many days did you train in a week? And also, did your back muscle shrink from overtraining?
150 reps or so is spread out in evening 3-4hrs. some during the day. rest time vary between 1min to 10mins or longer. really depends on the mood and all at that time. I was pretty obsessed over the rep count at that time heh, so pretty much every day of the week. some days maybe 50 reps at most.

i don't remember any drop in body weight, or shrinking.. :D

lina

10 Mar 2013
Choa Chu Kang
Hey hey! Think I need help…… Im stagnant at 4 reps for pull up ,im aiming for power .Anyone can help with this

kr3w

1 Aug 2011
Hey hey! Think I need help…… Im stagnant at 4 reps for pull up ,im aiming for power .Anyone can help with this
you can try adding weights (weight belt, etc) when doing pullups, or doing heavier than ur body weight on the lats pull down machine. a hard and fast pull can train some explosive strength